5/24/2013

140 Wellington Street East


While surfing the internet, I happened upon "The Torontoist" web site and found some photos of Toronto that were taken more than 150 years ago.

One picture that showed "The Exchange" on the north side of Wellington, just east of Yonge Street, and adjacent to Leader Lane.

According to the web site, it was damaged by fire in the 1930's, and subsequently demolished during WWII.


Courtesy City of Toronto Archives, Fonds, 1498. 

Once I looked carefully at the photo, though, I realized that the building just east of it was somewhat familiar.

Curiousity caused me to crop the picture a little, so that the building at 140 Wellington was showcased a little better.
 
The lettering over the storefronts says "Hutchison & Co." and looks like it still stands today, despite the many fires on Wellington, over the years.

So I surfed over to "Google Maps" and "snipped" this picture, just to prove to myself that, indeed they were the same.
 



 Yep, when compared, they are definitely the same!
  

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I TOTALLY WORKED IN THIS BUILDING!!! For about eight years, this is where my bosses' law offices were located. We were on the third floor.
Most of the interior they kept intact - they left the brickwork, windows, floors and ceilings untouched.
My favorite part of the space was the crazy open elevator in the back that was operated by this weird pulley and motor system. I was the only one who knew how to use it!

Blog Archive