1/28/2011

WAM at the U of BC

One day, Leona and I took a day trip to see the World Art Market (WAM) exhibit at the University of British Columbia.

It was advertised as a market featuring indigenous art and artists, with food, music and performers from around the world.
We took two buses to the university and walked through the campus, over to the Museum of Anthropology (MOA).

It was a good thing that my sister knew the way, because I would have been lost, otherwise.

There was a giant tent on the grounds, with artist who were carving (with argillite or wood), tufting (with caribou or moose hair), as well as painting, spinning pottery and playing music.

This area was once a fort with big guns, observation posts and bunkers.

Below, is a panel depicting the actual placement of Gun # 1 for defense of the coast during World War II.

Here we have the Artillery Stores and shelter that was used for the troops stationed here at Point Grey Battery.

Inside, the museum we wandered through the exhibits...there were lots of carvings and totems.

In the Great Hall, we stopped to watch Ache Brasil, in their traditional costumes.

They entertained us with their music, and some pretty energetic dancing.


I hope I was able to capture the experience in these pictures.

This blog is for my friends and relatives to see my travels and trivia, but this particular section (BC Trip) is like re-experiencing my vacation, all over again.

No comments:

Blog Archive