6/24/2012

Pokhara Nepal

December 1 Entry:

Currently staying at the Garden Yiga Chozin Centre in Pokhara, Nepal.

 

This is a Tibetan Meditation and Retreat Centre, where I will be staying for a short while; since it feels like a good time to chill.

The town of Pokhara is nestled beside a lake with fabulous sunset views.




Pictured here is the Phewa Lake with the Annapurna Range in the distance.

Earlier, while in Nagarkot, I took a short hike up to a viewing point to see the Langtang Range.



As I continued walking through terraced mustard fields, I came upon a local tea shop, where a young man was noodling on his guitar. He let me play a couple of tunes! What a treat!

I also met a group of Theravadan Buddhists from Thailand, who were here to witness the ordination of 1,000 Nepalese in Lumbini (the birthplace of Buddha).

In Kathmandu, I saw the Boudhanath Stupa and the Wayambhu Stupa.
These are both World Heritage sites. The Buddhism here seems to be a very happy  blend of Tibetan, with Hindu, local godess worship, and even some remnants of animistic religions. Fascinating!

This is a picture of the Main Stupa in Bodh Gaya.





No comments:

Blog Archive