1/28/2016

Turner at the AGO


We were nearing the end of the Turner Exhibit, so Marcia and I attended one day last week (she has a membership).


I also wanted my friend, Kinga to see this exhibit, so I snapped up a MAP (Museum and Arts Pass) from my local library.
We almost didn't make it into the gallery, due to the fact that I never kept the receipt.



But, I managed to hike over to the Lillian H. Smith Library, where they reprinted the receipt. Thank goodness!
We still had to pay ten dollars each to see the exhibit, because the MAP only gets you in the gallery.

I snapped a couple of pictures, but anyone can see his landscapes simply by surfing the net.


Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851).
He was born in Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, London.
His father was a barber and wig maker, while his mother came from a family of butchers.
There is a film that was released in 2014 (Mr. Turner). His character was played by Timothy Spall.
 

 According to Wikipedia, Turner became more eccentric over the years, and had only a few close friends. Apparently, his father lived with him for some 30 years, working as his studio assistant, where he mixed pigments and stretched canvases for his son.



This is a photo of my favourite Turner painting.
At the end of the gallery tour, Kinga said "it makes me want to go home and paint".

No comments:

Blog Archive